Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update!

UPDATE!!

Hello wrestling fans! (Or should I say friends and family?) Not quite sure what I am going to write about. Just wanted to put up a little update. Here goes..

We are near completion of our second tour here in Japan for the Dragon Gate promotion. We leave on Friday, August 28th in the afternoon. I write this blog from Sappora, Japan.(Yes, the place with the famous beer.) It has been a very memorable and successful trip that neither my brother or I will ever forget. This August tour has been grueling to say the least. In the end we will have spent twenty-one days in Japan. Fifteen of those days were show days! That is A LOT of wrestling shows. After living in Japan and competing for Dragon Gate for a total of two months this year, I have a new respect for the guys on this roster. These guys are not just professional wrestlers - they are the toughest men on this planet. A typical Dragon Gate year has anywhere from 200-250 shows a year! Each show, the wrestlers set-up and tear down the entire venue from the ring, banners and chairs to the PA system and merchandise tables. The matches these guys are having night in and night out are nothing like the typical matches that you see on television every week. I'm still blown away everytime that bell rings. On top of all of this, the Dragon Gate wrestlers and staff typically travel 5-7 hours a day on average. Of course the trips can be WAY longer then that. (We just spent 22 hours on a ship and 7 more on a bus back to back earlier this week.) This is a never-ending carny, yet you'll never see one guy from this group dragging his boots. These guys are not just hard workers, but they are extremely respectful and professional. Nick and I have earned friendships that will last a lifetime.

We are very proud of the work that we have put out this month here in Japan. We feel like it is some of our best stuff yet. One highlight from this trip was aligning our selves with the strongest unit in Dragon Gate, World-1. Getting to stand ringside during Speed Muscle matches every night may be the best learning technique out there. Do the Young Bucks have a future with Dragon Gate? Absolutely. We will be back. (I know that some internet fans are not going to be thrilled to hear that. A long time ago I used to let you types get to me... however, that was a long time ago.) [EDIT: Most of you are awesome and Nick and I owe a lot to you for getting the "word" out. Oh, and obviously I do care about what you think. Otherwise it wouldn't of been mentioned in this blog.] We also got to check out Universal Studios Japan in Osaka which has the most ridiculous "Adventures of Spider-Man" ride EVER. Nick and I both agreed that its more advanced than anything we've been on in the states. Another major highlight was the beach show/after-party at Sumo Beach earlier this month. Dragon Kid and Hayabusa put on a concert in a ropeless ring that seriously rocked the house. It was fun clapping along to songs (which we obviously couldn't understand) with guys like Tanisaki, B x B Hulk, Yoshino and Doi. (Name drop count: 4) We also had a couple of sponsors take us out to dinner which didn't agree with our stomachs but was a ton of fun nonetheless. We were both peer pressured into trying raw Kobe Beef which was just weird tasting. Dinners in Japan last about 2-3 hours by the way..... And your eating..the ENTIRE time.

My brother and I have a lot to look forward to in the coming days/months. We have a big weekend for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (the company that got us out here) coming up that we are extremely psyched for. Ever since I fell in love with independent wrestling, El Generico was one guy that I have always wanted to work. And then the following weekend is the US debut of Dragon Gate. If you live within a six hour drive and you call your self a wrestling fan you MUST go to this show. Also, Nick and I have been filming a bunch of great stuff for our new internet reality show "YBTV" that I know you guys are going to get a kick out of. Dustin Cutler, (the sole editor) Nick and myself have really big plans for the show that we are very excited about. Stay tuned...

And then the main event... November 1st - The day I marry my best friend and love of my life. I've always known that we would end up together. Seriously. Even during our break-ups and months apart, I knew it. I told my good friend and cougar hunter a little earlier today, "I'm just lucky I found someone to put up with all of my crap." Not to mention that she is the most wonderful and supportive women I could of chosen to spend the rest of my life with. I miss you Dana. You've taken this whole 'me not being home thing' unbelievably well.

Anyhow, we've got three more matches to go and then we are headed onto that long 10-12 hour flight home from Tokyo.

God bless,

Matt Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment